Saturday, November 19, 2011

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2





I recently completed the single player campaign to Tom Clancy`s Rainbow Six: Vegas 2, developed by Ubisoft Montreal, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I played it for Xbox 360 and I think its controls are superb, it has probably one of the best setups for an FPS. I personally enjoy tactical shooters, and R6V2 fulfilled this niche while adding an interesting story.

Now one thing that`s cool, due to how the whole narrative between Vegas 1 and 2 interrelates, is that both games deal with the same time period. So no, 2 isn`t just another attack on Las Vegas following the first, but just the same attack from a different point of view. At least that`s how I understand it. So each game is a layer on the overall story.

The story itself disassociates itself from the first game bringing in new characters and a new team, which I thought was a good idea. It made it different and it was realistic that there would be more story to tell through other members of Rainbow during this event. The protagonist Bishop, while having an established story, has qualities that are character controlled; when coupled with his (or her) past as an instructor, this adds an interesting personalising dynamic.



Not only does this sequel allow the player to customize their appearance, but armour and weapon load-out that effect the character’s attributes. There’s an interesting single player merit system that allows for unlocks. It is somewhat similar to how the COD online model works, but it is integrated well into the single player character customization.

Vegas as a locale works well. It`s interesting because while New York and Los Angeles have games based in and off them, Vegas is somewhat distinctive in gaming (Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Fallout: New Vegas). Perhaps it is because it is naturally playful and offers a unique atmosphere that immediately changes the dynamics of any IP. Anyways, I thought I`d be weary of LV by the second title, but it was still fun. Ubisoft Montreal was able to keep it fresh and varied.

The game gives the player tight control, which allows him or her to maneuver during very tenuous situations. I think the cover system fits well and is effective. I also liked how the developers added sprint. Unfortunately I found out about the ability to control teammates with voice after I beat campaign, so I’ll have to try that out the next time I play it through. When I do eventually get Xbox Live up and running, I look forward to playing this online. Due to the tight, intuitive controls and interface, I think it would allow for an immersive, realistic online experience and that’s what I’m looking for. Altogether Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 is one of my favourite first person shooters so far on Xbox 360.

No comments:

Post a Comment